1 Chronicles 28:20: “David also said to Solomon his son, “Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the Lord is finished.”
Be STRONG. Be COURAGEOUS. DO the WORK.
I’ve spent a lot of my life running AWAY from doing the work.
- I’ve run away from leadership positions because the work of being a leader is HARD. It takes STRENGTH and COURAGE to set vision, encourage people to work as a team, be willing to own up to mistakes and then correct them.
- I ran away from building my music ministry career because the work of being an artist is HARD. It takes STRENGTH and COURAGE to put yourself and your work out there, to silence the voices in your head that whisper ‘you may not be good enough’, to risk rejection and keep going even after you’ve been told ‘no’ and another door has been shut in your face.
But if I want to achieve anything in this life, here’s what God says: I must be strong. I must be courageous. I must do the work.
The Lord says “Be STRONG”
To be strong means to have physical and/or mental power and vigour. But I feel weak. I AM weak. How do I get strong? The Bible says “Be strong IN THE LORD and in HIS MIGHTY POWER” (Ephesians 6:10).
So God knows I’m weak, but He offers me HIS strength. That is AMAZING. He is literally saying: “Come to me and let me empower you to accomplish the things I want you to do.”
The Lord says “Be COURAGEOUS”
The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines courage as “mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty.”
FEAR is what keeps us from moving forward in the face of uncertainty and difficulty. The antidote to fear is FAITH – faith in a God who knows the future and who gives us His strength to accomplish the tasks He has set for us.
“Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.” (Hebrews 11:1). As we put our faith in Him, we are enabled to move forward with courage, fighting fear with faith every step of the way.
The Lord says “DO THE WORK”
The gap between God’s call on our lives and the finished product or end result is DOING THE WORK. God encourages us, empowers us, emboldens us, but then we have to DO the work. Because if the work is not done, we won’t get to the finish line.
The work is what we do every day to fulfil God’s call on our lives.
- It’s how we raise our children if we’re called to be parents.
- It’s our faithfulness and reliability at our workplaces if God has called us to be employed to provide for our families.
- It’s how we study and pray and prepare and live with integrity if we’re called to pastor, teach, or preach.
The work is HARD. It’s not glamorous and it’s not sexy. It takes discipline to keep doing the work every day even when we’re tired, sick or unmotivated. It takes perseverance to keep doing the work every day when people disagree with us, oppose us, or discourage us. It takes perseverance to keep doing the work when it feels like we’re working so hard for so long but we’re STILL not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
But here’s the truth that will keep you going: “…the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you…”
God promises us His presence. He’s with us at the beginning, He’ll stick with us through the messy middle, and He’s right there with us all the way through to the end.
So as I encourage myself to take up my calling and do what God calls me to do, I also encourage you, my friend.
Be STRONG. Be COURAGEOUS. DO the WORK.
Let's Walk Together
Enter your email address and I'll send you weekly emails that will keep you thoughtful, hopeful and inspired.
As a thank-you gift, I'll send you a printable download of 7 deeply encouraging Scripture verses, each with a meditation and beautiful scenic photography.